Monday, November 8, 2010

Super Short Story!

The Date

“I guess I just don’t know how to deal with loss.”

“No, yeah, me neither.” My date had been crying for most of dinner, and I was kind of getting sick of it. “Hey, I’ve got an idea. How about we play the Shut Up Game?”

“What?” She looked hurt, but I think there was something in her that liked the idea.

“Yeah. It’s the game we don’t talk or make eye contact and eat our dinners.” To get her started, I took a handful of rigatoni and tried to push it into her mouth.

“Stop! Stop it!” My date screamed and slapped my hand away. Everyone in the restaurant turned to stare at us.

“She lost!” I yelled at the top of my voice, standing up on my chair. “She lost the Shut Up Game! Do you know what that means?!”

“PENALTY ROUND!” everyone in the restaurant cried, picking up the pepper grinders from their tables and surrounding my date. As they pinned her down on the table and just peppered the good gravy out of her, I laughed and laughed, throwing up clumps of pasta and rubbing the complimentary olive oil on myself in unbridled delight. The Penalty Round is my favorite round.

Would tonight be the night I got to second base?, I wondered.

1 comment: