Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Chris Monday

Yesterday was Christmas (did you know?), and all of my students were very excited to be able to talk to me after class and say "Merry Christmas!" The holiday very conveniently gives them English words to speak to their non-Thai-speaking teacher, and about half of my students shouted MERRY CHRISTMAS at me as either
A) They raced out of the classroom to avoid a prolonged conversation
B) They raced past me in the hallway to avoid a prolonged conversation

There was one kid, however, a freshman, who made the mistake of coming to my desk to wish me a Merry Christmas. His name is Draft. (And yes, this is the class that always has the student named "Beer" in it. No, they are not friends. Yes, I am going to force them to be partners on a project later in the semester).

Anyway, Draft came up to my desk after class, catching me by surprise, since no one ever talks to me (in Thailand).

"Teacher," Draft said, "sdfkjlsdfj Monday."

"What?" I said. "What the fuck did you just say to me?"

"Many Chris Monday."

"What? Monday? You speak more clearly when you're talking to me, boy."

"Merry Chris Monday."

At first I was confused and angry, because I thought Draft was using "Chris" like that adjective in "Ruth's Chris Steakhouse" that I never understood; but then I realized he was wishing me a Merry Christmas Day. Which was nice, because I still don't know what he wants me to do with him on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. I was reading the comments on the video. Is your YouTube username VivaL0sTioz?

    ReplyDelete