Friday, September 18, 2009

More Language Barrier

Last night I was out for drinks with a friend, and, as happens every time that two Americans are out for drinks after eight P.M., two super-drunk Thais sat down with us wanting to be friends. They were both artsy types: long hair, grungy T-shirts. One of them was a Master's student in Music, a 30 year old, and he spoke excellent English; the other was a 25-year-old 8th-year undergraduate in Sculpture; his English was like, uh, the English of a Sculptor who doesn't speak any English.

Case in point. A third Thai sat down with us briefly, said something to the Sculptor, and then went away. The sculptor leans over to me and says:

"He fucks boys!"

Me [a bit confused]: "...What?"

Sculptor [Louder]: "He fucks boys!"

Me: "Uhh...I'm sorry, I don't understand."

Sculptor: "I'm sorry, my English it's...he's the fuck-boy."

Me: "The fuck-boy?"

Sculptor: "Him, he's the fuck-boy. You know?"

Me: "No, I don't..."

Sculptor: "How do you say...he's crazy, he's awesome...he fucks boys."

Me: [after some thought]..."He's the fucking man?"

Sculptor: "Yes!"


I'm glad we got that cleared up.

1 comment:

  1. when you get back to america we can pound drink and yell "he fucks boys!" instead of the cliche "kind of like my wedding night"

    ReplyDelete