Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Every Dog Has His Day TO COMPLETELY SCREW OVER MY LESSON PLAN

I only have one class today--2nd year English from 8:00 A.M. - 9:30 A.M. The class is almost all girls, and they are all very quiet and respectful, and I love them. Of course, this generally means that nothing interesting ever happens in this class.

Today, however, a stray black dog wandered into the room while I was taking attendance, trotted in front of me, circled back, and then laid down in the second row.

None of the students flinched.

"This is it," I thought. "I've finally gone crazy. Because I could have sworn I saw a black dog come into my classroom, and yet no one is laughing, or pointing at it, or whispering to each other."

So I walked over to where the dog was on the ground, and its eyes were closed.

"No sleeping in my classroom!" I cried, to polite but confused laughter.

(I think they were only laughing because I made a funny face, and not because they liked my Saget-esque joke).

I pointed at the dog.

"Is this okay? Is this allowed?"

No one knew what I was talking about. Dogs wander into classrooms here all the time, as often as teacher says something nonsensical, as often as foreigners get comically nonplussed.

So I taught the rest of the class with a sleeping dog in the second row. No one even looked at, much less petted it. At about ten minutes until the end of class, it suddenly got up and ran outside. I thought about making a lame teacher joke about needing a hall pass to use the restroom, but humor seemed hopeless at that point. No one thought a dog in class was funny or even interesting. Only me.

So what the crap.

Ajarn Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment